Last updated 18/06/2018
* denotes current heaviest weighed fish for that species nationally (NZSFC)
® denotes new club record
|OPEN SPEAR FISHING|
|John Dory||Jae Staite||2.48kg||27/01/18|
|Crayfish (R)||Tom Mills||1.40kg||17/06/18|
|OPEN LINE FISHING|
|John Dory||Bev Brockie||2.64kg||1/08/17|
|JUNIOR LINE FISHING (16 and under)|
|John Dory||Aaron Furlong||1.64kg||20/05/18|
|Small Fry LINE FISHING (11 and Under)|
|John Dory||Megan Reid||1.10kg®|
First Marlin of the season (weighed at Marsden Cove, by a current member, >90kg) - Daniel McCully 290.5kg Blue Marlin®
Heaviest Blue Marlin - Daniel McCully 290.5kg®
Heaviest StripedMarlin - Sean McCully 201.4kg®*
First Tuna - Vacant
Heaviest Tuna - Vacant
For past winners and club records click here
Angler of the Year
Angler of the year (AOTY) is an annual contest, run from July 1st-June 30th every year. Anglers/spearos/Juniors can weigh in fish (species as per our weighboard) on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday to count for the AOTY, fish weighed any other day do not count toward AOTY points but are still eligable for the other yearly competition.
Each fish weighed will earn 100pts and 10 points per kilogram up to a maximum 8kg (maximum points for a single fish is 180pts), points are for your best fish weighed of each species during the year, so you can upgrade your points with a larger fish weighed as the season progresses. Only your best scoring fish for each species will count towards the overall total.
Each Saturday (and other nominated days such as club tournaments) the highest scoring angler/spearo will win a $25 bar tab. As there are only 5 species in which we compete head to head, these will be the counting fish toward the daily winner. These species are Snapper, Kingfish, Kahawai, Trevally,John Dory
The highest aggregate points total for these 5 species wins the prize.
Marsden Cove Marina Overall Champion - To qualify for the overall champion you must first win your respective section (Open Line, Junior or Spear).The highest aggregate points total over the year for the 5 common species (Snapper, Kingfish, Kahawai, Trevally,John Dory) will be awarded the overall champion. This prize includes not only the ultimate in bragging rights, but also a rather large cup and a check for $1000 courtesy of the extremely generous sponsorship of Marsden Cove Marina.
For fish to be eligible for the MCFC leader board or angler of the year they must meet the following criteria:
- The angler must be a current financial member at the time of capture.
- The fish must be caught in accordance with any NZSFC rules or club rules and MAF regulations at the time of capture.
- Acceptable methods of capture are line fishing (rod & reel or hand line) and spear fishing (free diving only).
For any fish to be considered eligible it must meet one of the following criteria:
- The fish must be presented for weighing to an official weigh master of the MCFC and weighed using the Club's calibrated scales.
- The fish may also be presented to any other official weigh master of another recognised fishing club. In this case the member must obtain written proof of the capture, signed and dated by that weigh master, including contact details so they can be contacted in case any questions arise.
The master weigh master's decision is final.